Thursday, May 28, 2009

Fairly Obvious Ending for Battle of the Cowl



A mediocre story if you'd ask me... It was obvious from the very start who would take Batman's place and wear the cowl. But it took Tony S. Daniel 3 full issues before "unveiling" *SPOILER ALERT* Dick Grayson as the New Batman *Spoiler ends*

As a reader, I wanted my taste buds to get challenged, much like what Grant Morrison did to the franchise early on (with art by Adam Kubert no less.)

Daniel's work during the "Infinite Crisis" tie up era (Jason Todd versus Tim Drake inside Titans Tower) was pretty up there. When I first encountered it, I was amazed as at that time I was still drooling over Jim Lee art. Hands down this guy is definitely going places with his work. However, I feel that he is NOT yet ready for scripting AND art duties. The dialogues were mediocre, the pacing was so-so and the ending was pretty predictable (You'll know this if you've already read the finale for Batman: R.I.P.)

And because of the final battle between Jason and Dick, we never really get to see the inner trappings of the new black mask. Plus after Jason's fall, theres a time skip and we never really find out the outcome of the burnings and chaos during the events of Battle. I just wish that there something to be done about that.

Well anyway, if it's any consolation the artwork A-OK.

If I were a comic book critic, I'd give it a 3 out of a possible 5.

Enjoy the pictures kiddies.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket







No comments:

Search This Blog